Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Homemade LED ceiling light.

In article , wrote:
I was thinking about bulding at least one.I think I would drill a lot of
holes in a cheap wide shallow plastic bowl and put LED bulbs in the
holes and connect to wires to a battery holder which would lay inside of
the bowl and have three strings so as to hang the light evenly (sort of
like those hanging potted plants) from my living room ceiling light, the
little brass threaded ferule which holds the glass clobe on to the
original ceiling light, I can make a little wire hook to hang the light
from.This would be for if the electric power gets knocked out (stormy
weather, whatever) for an extended lenght of time.I was wondering how
well something like that might work out? If it works ok, I can build
more LED battery powered ''ceiling lights'' for other rooms in my house.
cuhulin

It seems like a lot of work. I was going to install a bunch of LED ceiling pot lights,
mostly in the kitchen. I was going to use X10 to control them. I found out X10 is
not supposed to work with wall supplies and the light from normal LED's is too blue.
Warm LED's are available now, so any light I install will have to be the warm type.
They are also essential for art display lighting. The LED's I bought are 3 watt Luxeon
for about $6 ea.

The LED lanterns and flashlight are so cheap, that you should reconsider.
I d think its very nice to have a house emergency supply of ceiling and floor
runners, as a backup, and you can even use them all the time as added
convenience and styling using different colors.

greg