Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Retraining

"Louis Ohland" wrote in message
But what about the foundry that she could have choreographed?

Brings to mind the Nextel (?) wireless commercial where the site boss has
everyone working to the phone calls...

Ed Huntress wrote:
But- she really liked the casting demos at Cabin Fever. And there's
probably a quota for female foundry workers.

Good luck to her in any case. Teaching sounds good. Foundry work will
probably be so automated in a few years that they'll run with the lights
out.

If she can choreograph foundries, and if she can attract an audience,
there's a unique place for her in the global economy. d8-)

Foundrywork is much more fun as a hobby or a one-person specialty operation.
I've been in enough foundries to know that I wouldn't want to work there.
The local cupola iron foundry, which went out of business over 30 years ago,
would remind you of those stories about hell we were told as kids. And old
diecasting shops, when I started reported on manufacturing (mid-'70s) could
have come straight out of Dante's Inferno. Everything was there but the
wails, screams, and the sound of flailing chains. They probably muted them
for my visit.

--
Ed Huntress