Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solar Panal info req for domestic use

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:09:31 +0000 Andy Hall wrote :
Where are the disinterested sources of information?

By this I mean disinterested from the commercial sales aspect
and also from the eco sales aspect......

Organisations like BRE. According to the hard numbers SAP 2005 if
I install a 2m2 solar panel on my home I can expect to save around
620kWh per year, say �20. If I let a solar panel salesman in, I
somehow doubt that he'd tell me not to waste my money ...

Mm. I don't get my electricity that cheap. more like £62...but if its
replacing GAS of course, thats a fair crack.

I make that an average output of 35W/sq meters

That' actually quite GOOD .

let's see..about 2KWh per day, So I could save that much by..mmm. in
winter I need about 5KW continuous to heat the place if its freezing, so
putting on a jumper and living at 16C instead of say 19C would save
about 15% of that..say 750W..or about 540 kwh per month.

How much does a set of thermal underware and a wooly pully costs? cant
be over 100 quid a year. OTOH the electricity/gas would be cheaper.
Certainly for a family. Dang., there goes another theory. Its cheaper to
heat the house than buy thick jumpers..

What about simply NOT watching TV..well there's a 100 quid plus license
gone for a start, and 70W for 4 hours a say. 365 days of the year.

Thats 102Kwh saved. Except dang it, I'd need to replace that 70W in some
other way...Ditto CFL lightbulbs. You gotta admit it, when it comes to
all these popular green ideas, solar panels ain't the worst by a long
chalk. I guess windmills on yer roof have to be as crap as it gets.

y'know, the best bet has simply got to be signing up for every brochure
you can find, ans using a special name like 'Mr Freenergy' and simply
sorting your mail every day and putting all those straight into a
woodburner. Along with as many free supermarket plastic bags, and egg
cartons and anything else you can find.

Sod the dioxins. We are saving the planet aren't we?