Ned Simmons

Default New Chinese mill vs old high quality mill

In article ,
says...
James Waldby writes:

I don't see it saying Turcite B is just PTFE. True, in section 2
it lists nothing besides PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene) and
Chromium III Compound (0.5% by wt.) as hazardous ingredients.
But in section 8 it says "This compound contains Chromium III
compounds [...] and 25% Cu metal".

MSDSs are government (regulatory) documents and you have to be careful
interpreting them for physical facts . There is just a tiny bit of the
metallic portion (0.5% total stated on the first page). This I suspect is
just the very thin coating on one face made by converting the pure PTFE to
a thin bondable layer. This is what makes the product glueable with epoxy.
Otherwise, nothing sticks to PTFE. It helps to have seen this stuff, snow
white PTFE on one face, a muddy brown on the other (the uncolored MSC
version).

The "25% Cu" appears to be a misprint. It should have been enclosed in the
parenthesis just preceding. That is, of the 0.5 percent chromium III
compounds, 25 percent of the weight of those compounds consist of Cu.

The point is, the bulk polymer is pure PTFE, not acetal, or something else.

See my earlier comment on the specific gravity of Turcite
B. The higher density would be consistent with a metal
filled PTFE.

Ned Simmons