Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Project in planning: End Table Design Candidate 1 of 3

Kevin Miller wrote:

I need to look into allowing for expansion in another way.

There's a really easy way to to that Mark - I had photos of a coffee table
that I did some years back that showed how, but I can't find them at the
moment. I'll keep digging. If I can't find it I'll draw them and post
here.

Following up here, I took a couple photos of a shelf and legs of an
entertainment center I'm working on. Sorry for the slightly blurry photos.
I turned off the flash to cut back on glare. Probably should have left it
on.

For descriptions sake, lets say the table leg is 2" square. The notch in
the leg could be 1" x 1". You notch the shelf to about 1 1/8" from the
back so essentially you have an eighth gap for expansion, but it's hidden
in the notch. From the side you can just cut the shelf back 1" so it fits
snugly, since you won't have expansion and contraction in that direction.
Hope that makes sense.

The third shot is a full view of the side. Just couldn't resist showing the
quilted maple. g

HTH. Holler if you have any questions - if you do a small one in scrap I
expect it'll all make sense.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller, Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

Attached Thumbnails
Project in planning: End Table Design Candidate  1 of 3-img_5908-jpg  Project in planning: End Table Design Candidate  1 of 3-img_5910-jpg  Project in planning: End Table Design Candidate  1 of 3-img_5911-jpg