Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Old capacitors in old radio

CJT wrote:

The radio in question is about 54 years old. Post WWII.

So what? The paper used to make the capacitors was high in acid
content. As the caps age, they start to adsorb moisture which breaks
down the fibers and the dielectric develops leakage.

That will change the bias voltage on the grids, which cause the tubes
to conduct harder. That puts a heavier load on an already overworked
power transformer. A ot of those old radios were built for a lower line
voltage, which causes the transformers to run hotter due to saturation
of the iron laminations.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell