Posted to alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default renovation install - door first or flooring

On Jan 27, 2:20 pm, "John91" wrote:
I'm going to get my front exterior door replaced, and also change carpet to
laminate flooring for main floor. Currently, the entry area at the door is
kind of old ceramic tiles. Before talking to installation guys, I got a
couple of questions:

1) which one should go first, door or flooring?
2) What is recommended flooring at the door entry? I 'm thinking to use
laminate for whole floor, but it may not look good. Saw some houses use lino
there.

Thanks.

It can probably go either way, but typically exterior doors go in
before flooring (this is the way it always is in new construction).
This way, the new floor can butt into the door threshold. If you put
the floor first, how will you know where the door threshold is going
to be precisely? Laminate is not a good choice in an entry IMO unless
you find some that is resistent to water. The particle board based
products will swell and be ruined with only small exposure to water.
Vinyl would be OK. Tile would be best.