Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_2_] HeyBub[_2_] is offline

Default renovation install - door first or flooring

John91 wrote:
I'm going to get my front exterior door replaced, and also change
carpet to laminate flooring for main floor. Currently, the entry area
at the door is kind of old ceramic tiles. Before talking to
installation guys, I got a couple of questions:

1) which one should go first, door or flooring?
2) What is recommended flooring at the door entry? I 'm thinking to
use laminate for whole floor, but it may not look good. Saw some
houses use lino there.

It'll be easier to get the door to match if you do the flooring first. The
flooring should not butt up against the door frame since the wood expands.
An alternative is an "entrance-way" of material other than wood flooring.
Some other floor covering the width of the door and, say, 2 or 3 feet deep.
We have ceramic tile, but other choices come to mind.

The rationale is that rain, dirt, yak-yak-yak won't hit the wood floor.