Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Homemade LED ceiling light.

wrote:
I was thinking about bulding at least one.I think I would drill a lot of
holes in a cheap wide shallow plastic bowl and put LED bulbs in the
holes and connect to wires to a battery holder which would lay inside of
the bowl and have three strings so as to hang the light evenly (sort of
like those hanging potted plants) from my living room ceiling light, the
little brass threaded ferule which holds the glass clobe on to the
original ceiling light, I can make a little wire hook to hang the light
from.This would be for if the electric power gets knocked out (stormy
weather, whatever) for an extended lenght of time.I was wondering how
well something like that might work out? If it works ok, I can build
more LED battery powered ''ceiling lights'' for other rooms in my house.
cuhulin

If you want a project to fill some empty time, that's as good as any.
Do the math and make sure you understand how little light you'll be
getting.
If you just want a light that works in an emergency, go buy one of the
small fluorescent under-counter lights. Or a flashlight If you wait
for summer, there's one at every other garage
sale for a buck or less.

If you have lots of extra cash to burn, buy a led flashlight. They make
'em with as many zillion lights as you want. And they're cheaper than
buying leds in low quantity.

ledshoppe.com
dealextreme.com

If your power goes out a lot, put rechargeables. Use Eneloop or some
other vendor's hybrid NiMH so there'll be some chance it will still have
some charge when you need it.

So, for wasting time and using up extra cash, a homemade led light
works fine. And you can point to it and say, "hey, look what I can do."

If you want light, give it up and buy one.
mike

--
Return address is VALID!