Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Retraining

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:47:13 -0800 (PST), Brent
wrote:
snip
How many Sawyers, Fullers, Coopers, and Smiths Still Saw, walk in
rancid urine to prepare clothes, Make barrels, Or work Making tools
form wrought iron.

The last names survive but the occupations havent. They've gone on to
do other things in other sections of life.

snip
================
That's the way it was supposed to work (and did for a long time)
and is the justification for the largely correct [in the context]
of Schumpeter's, et al "creative destruction."
click on
http://transcriptions.english.ucsb.e...chumpeter.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_destruction

However the operative word here is *CREATIVE* and NOT
destruction.

What we are now witnessing and experiencing is simple demolition
and liquidation (aka "clear cutting") with no attempt to
introduce new products, industries, etc. We are now in the
position of eating the last of our seed corn.

IMNSHO, one of the major contributing factors is the grossly
excessive burden and overhead rates charged against manufacturing
and indeed all productive activities. The most egregious example
is the outrageous salaries and benefit packages, demanded and
received, by the CEOs that are running our few remaining
productive assets into the ground.

To start a law could be enacted prohibiting any company from
paying any person a salary/compensation greater in total than
that received by the President of the United States ===unless
that corporation is making a profit== as indicated by paying US
income taxes on the corporate gross income at a rate at least as
high the rate paid on gross income by a single working mother of
two.