Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural,alt.energy.homepower
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Lost Electricity -2

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:15:07 -0600, "Duane C. Johnson"
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:48:54 -0500, "daestrom"
wrote:

"Neon John" wrote in message

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:27:05 GMT, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article
,
(Charles Bishop) wrote:

If the thermostat has an anticipator that is properly adjusted (most
'stats have 'em
but few are adjusted properly) then the anticipator will reduce the time
needed to
bring the room up to normal.

Actually, the classic heating thermostat anticipator is a tiny heater that
warms the sensing element a degree or two above the room's air temperature.
The purpose is to cause the burner of the furnace to shut off just before
the room reaches the desired temperature. This works because even after the
burner shuts off, the heat-exchanger in the furnace and the blower continue
to supply heat to the room for close to a minute longer. When properly
adjusted, the burner will shut off just before the room air reaches the
setpoint and the stored heat in the hot heat exchanger will continue and the
room temperature will 'coast' up to the setpoint just as the blower shuts
off.

This feature avoids an overshoot of the room temperature, but doesn't do
anything to '...reduce the time needed to bring the room up to normal.'

daestrom

Even if it has been turning the furnace off too soon, requiring the
user to wait for another heat cycle?

Then you adjust the antisipator so it doesn't.
It's relativly easy to do.

I didn't know about the heat anticipator 30 years ago, when I noticed
the problem.

It was a case of the heat anticipator affecting 'the time needed to
bring the room up to normal.'

Duane

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell