Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default leaking cement sink - update

wrote:
On Jan 24, 7:43�pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

Well, I've had a bucket under the P-trap ever since Monday morning...
haven't had any opportunity to actually do any house repair work.
Pulled it out after I got home from work this PM because I thought it
might have been filling up. �IT was bone dry! �I guess that means that
all the water was running down the back of the sink from the faucet,
along the bottom to the drain fitting, and then *appeared* to come from
the outside of the metal drain piece and down the p-trap. �I suspect
that it might have been leaking out around where the arm meets the body
more than normal due to the fact that I was using a short piece of
garden hose to fill the mop bucket. �(the drain is actually in constant
use, as the condensate drain from the A/C, furnace, and humidifier
drains into it.)

This makes me very happy.

I'll disassemble the faucet saturday AM. �If I spend more than an hour
screwing with it, I'll buy a new one.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

you may find it only leaks when hot water is dumped in the tank by say
a washing machine. sure hope it just the faucet but keep a eye on it,
mine concrete tank leaked off and on intermittently for a long time,
before it became obvious the exit pipe was leaking

Well, I put new washers in the faucet yesterday (as the guy at the local
plumbing store pretty much turned me around and walked me out the door
as I showed him my old faucet... see, this is why I shop online) and
just did a load of laundry this AM, bucket is still dry. And the faucet
doesn't leak.

I was unable to find any packing for the spout however, any ideas? Is
there a catalog of packing washers available online somewhere? I guess
I will just have to never hook up a garden hose to the faucet, which is
somewhat inconvenient. Or I could replace it, but I'm far less
motivated after spending yesterday AM convincing it to come apart.

nate