Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Boring out pulley

Gunner wrote:
I stick em on an arbor, turn the OD true, give it a bit of a face
turn, then grab them by the OD in a 4 jaw, pot collet etc etc. Most
times, after the OD has been trued on an arbor, any decent 3 jaw is
accurate enough to turn the ID. A .003 runout isnt **** for most belt
applications. ...

Ah - the voice of experience! And I just happen to have a set of arbors
that I've never used, but bought 'cause if I waited until I needed them
it would be too late.

I suspected that the runout wouldn't be too important, good to have that
validated. Actually, my Bison 3-jaw does hold pretty good - close to
..001, IIRC.

And frankly..you really dont need the key, unless its a really really
strongly loaded pulley. Simply use a longer set screw and run it into
the keyway in the motor shaft. ...

Good! I wasn't keen on using the lathe as a shaper. I know it works
and that it's a useful skill to have, but I'd rather just get on with
the conversion. I was planning on cutting down a key, to get some
keyed-ness. 1/2 a key is better than none.

Bob