Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Boring out pulley

On Jan 27, 4:38*am, Gunner wrote:
I stick em on an arbor, turn the OD true, give it a bit of a face
turn, then grab them by the OD in a 4 jaw, pot collet etc etc. Most
times, after the OD has been trued on an arbor, any decent 3 jaw is
accurate enough to turn the ID. A .003 runout isnt **** for most belt
applications....
And frankly..you really dont need the key, unless its a really really
strongly loaded pulley. Simply use a longer set screw and run it into
the keyway in the motor shaft....
Gunner

I'd turn down the threads at the end so they don't tear up the sides
of the shaft keyway but otherwise that works pretty well. The rim can
wobble quite a bit side-to-side without hurting anything.

Not saying a key isn't needed; my last two projects run around 5HP
through single 1/2" vee belts and use splines or press-fit keys. Stuff
I've fixed was assembled with only the setscrew and it held up OK. The
pulley stays on better if the screw threads bite into the shaft but
you'll have to clean up the slot with a file to install a key.

Jim Wilkins