Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Old capacitors in old radio

Ian Malcolm wrote:

James Sweet wrote:

I don't understand why you think it necessary to replace the paper/wax
ones without testing. In my experience those can last a _long_ time.

It's standard procedure. They already *have* lasted a LONG time. Ask
any of the experienced guys on rec.antiques.radio+phono and they'll
tell you the same thing. Skimping out on replacing a 10 cent capacitor
can easily burn up an expensive output tube or irreplaceable
transformer. 70+ year old paper/wax capacitors are simply not reliable
and can't be depended on. Do the job right and do it once, and the
radio may well be playing for another 70 years.

Tin foil + waxed paper insulator, wrapped construction. I thought it
was overkill to replace them all at first, but then I remembered tin
whisker growth has taken out *many* far more recent AF117 transistors
and that is *TIN* foil in the caps. If they aren't shorted now, they
soon will be . . .

They'd have to be some pretty darn big whiskers. Transistors are on
a different scale.