Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Old capacitors in old radio

James Sweet wrote:
I don't understand why you think it necessary to replace the paper/wax
ones without testing. In my experience those can last a _long_ time.

It's standard procedure. They already *have* lasted a LONG time. Ask any of
the experienced guys on rec.antiques.radio+phono and they'll tell you the
same thing. Skimping out on replacing a 10 cent capacitor can easily burn up
an expensive output tube or irreplaceable transformer. 70+ year old
paper/wax capacitors are simply not reliable and can't be depended on. Do
the job right and do it once, and the radio may well be playing for another
70 years.

The radio in question is about 54 years old. Post WWII.