Posted to alt.home.repair
TheGatekeeper TheGatekeeper is offline

Default Help With Pump Drain

Hi guys. I have a quick question I hope you can give me some advice
on. I have a small pit in my basement with a sump pump in it for
drainage. When I moved in I connected my pump with 1 1/4 inch
discharge to it which connects to my sewer system and used it for a
few years.

Last fall I noticed that the pit wasn't draining even though the
pump was running. Now I ran the hose out the window so that the
basement wouldn't flood. I never got around to fix the original
problem until now.

I'll explain as best I can, but basically there is a 2 inch black PVC
pipe that comes from the main house drain. then an elbow and is
reduced to a check valve and then the connection for my sump pump
hose. I'm pretty sure that the check valve has seized causing my
initial problem.

I just want to know if I can just get a new 2 inch elbow, reduce it
to an 1 1/2 inch, put a new check valve and the reduce again to 1 1/4
inch. My plan was to put all that together, then saw off just before
the old elbow and put my new one on. I have tried to just take off the
check valve but I guess the previous owner glued everything so it's
all together well.

I'm not the best at all this so I appreciate your help and
suggestions.