Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe Andy Cuffe is offline

Default Old capacitors in old radio

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 11:19:01 -0500, "mc"
wrote:

I'm getting ready to overhaul a radio that dates from roughly 1954 and am
wondering which kinds of capacitors need replacing.

I know the electrolytics and wax-paper capacitors (with wax outer surfaces)
need replacing, and the mica and ceramic ones don't. (One of the
electrolytics has failed, which is what got me started on the project.)

What about the ones housed in plastic tubes (with a hard plastic surface)?
Are they wax and paper or are they plastic inside?

The ones in hard plastic tubes (usually black) are paper and need to
be replaced. The ones that are dipped in shiny (usually orange, or
brown) epoxy are usually ok. Also, the ones that look like hollow
tubes are ceramic and are usually ok. Anything else is suspect and
should be tested, or replaced if there's any doubt.
Andy Cuffe