Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Would a humidity sensor and fan be a good idea when putting anew bathroom in?

Bertie Doe wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:
Bertie Doe wrote:

the machine in safely, for obvious reasons. The most cost effective
method, is an extracor fan, with a built-in timer. Ours switches off
after 20 mins.
I would suggest the humidistat controlled fans are much better than timed
ones in this application. They only run when the humidity is above your
pre-set level and not every time you turn the light on.

Is there any risk/tendency for them to cut in and out during the night?

We have an extractor fan in our en-suite which I deliberately wired up to
a simpler on-off switch rather than a timer (which I'd have preferred), so
that it wouldn't stay on during the night and keep SWMBO awake, but
clearly it has limitations.

How appropriate would a humidistat be under these circumstances?

No risk of the fan coming on inadvertantly during the night, as you will
adjust the pre-set level to come on when there is only steam in the
bathroom.

Not true. You can get as much humidity from rain and standing water on
the window cill.

If you get the model (woth a pull cord) that robgraham mentions,
you can over-ride the humidistat and operate the fan, as and when you need
it. Pull cord - fan comes on. Pull cord again - fan goes off.

Bertie