Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Would a humidity sensor and fan be a good idea when putting anew bathroom in?

Lobster wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Bertie Doe wrote:

the machine in safely, for obvious reasons. The most cost effective
method, is an extracor fan, with a built-in timer. Ours switches off
after 20 mins.

I would suggest the humidistat controlled fans are much better than
timed ones in this application. They only run when the humidity is
above your pre-set level and not every time you turn the light on.

Is there any risk/tendency for them to cut in and out during the night?

We have an extractor fan in our en-suite which I deliberately wired up
to a simpler on-off switch rather than a timer (which I'd have
preferred), so that it wouldn't stay on during the night and keep SWMBO
awake, but clearly it has limitations.

How appropriate would a humidistat be under these circumstances?

The only conditions ours comes on is a steamy bathroom OR rain driving
in through the grille and getting close to the sensor, OR when my *&^%
wife has left the window open in a rainstorm.

In which case I want to be woken up.

Thanks
David