Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Chimney Question

lanman wrote:

-snip-
This house has a center peak of nearly 40'. I'm guessing a chimney
rebuild would cost around $50K - not including the cost of knocking
out internal walls which have ornate wood and plaster work which will
be impossibly expense to replace/restore.

I wouldn't rebuild the chimney. But I'd talk to a few folks who do
lining before I gave up on that plan.

I think taking the chimney out of service and venting to an outside
wall as suggested by another poster might be the best alternative.
What do you think?

If you're in the market- or intend to be in the market- to replace
your furnace, the cost of relining the chimney goes into the mix of ;
How much does it cost?
How long will I live here?
How much will I save?

Jim