Andy Hall

Default New Electrical Regs - Again

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:40:15 +0100, PoP
wrote:

This isn't the end of the story, just an update. Further info may
follow when I've followed up.

I have been politely pestering my MP about the new electrical regs
which are being imposed from next April, because those regs are a
threat to my business in so far that they require certification of
work, and I'm not (yet) qualified to provide that certification. That
means that for some jobs around the home where a test certificate will
need to be issued I probably won't be able to take the work on.

Just received a reply from Nick Raynsford MP (minister responsible for
this crap), c/o my MP. In this reply NR advises that if I can't do the
certificates myself there is an easy way out - call in the local
council who will do the test and issue a certificate - at a cost of
course. NR advises that householders will be happy with this
additional cost because they will be reassured that the work carried
out meets the regulations (sure they will....).

Yep. I had that letter as well. It's one of his standard ones
where he thinks that he has an answer that will appease people doing
DIY electrical work. He's deluded, I think.

Anyway, got on the phone to the local council at the end of last week,
asking the questions "if I've got to get the local council to do this
as advised, then what is the procedure, how much does it cost, and
what is the turnaround time?".

Quick answer: "What new regulations?". More discussion follows where I
politely explain what's going on. Even quicker answer comes back:
"That's madness". Oh dear, it seems that local councils aren't happy
with what's going on in central government.

Why am I not surprised? Of course the reality is that the local
authority isn't even intended to do inspections because one isn't
really intended to do anything other than employ a NICEIC registered
electrician.

With Johnny TwoJags squeezing the local authorities from the other
end, the government can pretend to have made a real saving because the
scam (sorry scheme) appears to be self funding because of self
certification.

Of course, what is really happening is the creation of another closed
shop whereby the government can keep tabs on yet another sector which
might have been working for cash. I don't condone that, but this is
an underhand way of putting some bureaucracy around self employed
electricians and small traders that dies not need to be there. The
so called savings of accidents are a complete whitewash.

In effect, of course, this is another stealth tax.

This morning I got a call from the manager of the department in the
local council that is responsible for these sorts of things. He'd been
away for a few days and was wondering what the note on his desk was
all about. I explained. His response: "Well I know there is going to
be new regs coming along in the future, but no-one has told us
anything about it being from April". Furthermore, it turns out that he
is a member of NICEIC and reads all their publications, and the NICEIC
apparently know nothing about the imposition next April either.

As far as costs go, they haven't figured that out yet. But I am
advised that it would have to be a minimum of 50 quid. More likely 100
quid, and if it requires a full test of the installation then there
wouldn't be change out of 200 quid. Householders are really going to
love this extra charge aren't they! And if they get a sparky in to do
the work who is qualified to issue certificates on completion then the
dear old sparky is going to ramp up his prices in the knowledge he's
now got a captive audience to squeeze the life out of.

Now get this extra info which was kindly provided to me today.
According to my source (who I consider to be very reliable given his
position in the organisation) council employees are forbidden by law
to set foot on or work on private premises, so there's no way they can
carry out these tests and certifications.

Hmm. I don't see how that can be. What about building inspectors?
He must have meant something specific.

Anyone spot a problem with these new regs yet?

If you haven't already, get cracking with letters to your MPs folks.

PoP

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl