Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default Block Planes (manual): Low Angle vs...

On Jan 24, 8:46 pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:24:54 -0500, Rob wrote:
I've been looking at block planes. Only found Stanley brand in most
stores. Are there others worth considering?

Forget Stanley.

Veritas low angle. The adjustable mouth if you possibly can. The simpler
"apron plane" if you can't. It really is worth every penny. It's
useful, it's beautifully made and it's better than any Stanley old or
new.

I know my Veritas apron plane gets used more than any other plane in
my shop, and has from day one. I have a batch of Stanley low angle
block planes that are less often used: I think today's block plane may
be the best current Stanley production, but the Veritas beats it
handily, and with almost no tune-up. No experience with the L-N.