Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Would a humidity sensor and fan be a good idea when putting a new bathroom in?

"Lobster" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:
Bertie Doe wrote:

the machine in safely, for obvious reasons. The most cost effective
method, is an extracor fan, with a built-in timer. Ours switches off
after 20 mins.

I would suggest the humidistat controlled fans are much better than timed
ones in this application. They only run when the humidity is above your
pre-set level and not every time you turn the light on.

Is there any risk/tendency for them to cut in and out during the night?

We have an extractor fan in our en-suite which I deliberately wired up to
a simpler on-off switch rather than a timer (which I'd have preferred), so
that it wouldn't stay on during the night and keep SWMBO awake, but
clearly it has limitations.

How appropriate would a humidistat be under these circumstances?

No risk of the fan coming on inadvertantly during the night, as you will
adjust the pre-set level to come on when there is only steam in the
bathroom. If you get the model (woth a pull cord) that robgraham mentions,
you can over-ride the humidistat and operate the fan, as and when you need
it. Pull cord - fan comes on. Pull cord again - fan goes off.

Bertie