Eric Stevens

Default Copper Casting In America (Trevelyan)

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 01:18:46 GMT, Seppo Renfors
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 00:46:51 GMT, Seppo Renfors
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 01:02:50 GMT, Seppo Renfors
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 07:38:25 GMT, Seppo Renfors
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 13:37:36 GMT, Seppo Renfors
wrote:

[..]
However if one considers that "bubbling" has been claimed to be caused
by "overheating" in a annealing process - then it is saying "melted"
at the same time, as it cannot bubble UNLESS a portion of it is
melted. Also "welding" requires the melting of the metal - or so
goddamned close to it that the friction heat generated by a blow on it
does melt the metal.

Reasonably pure copper can be welded at ambient temperatures merely by
pressure. MIllions of electrical connections rely on this property.

Anything can be welded at virtually any temperature by using pressure.
The Mini Minor crown wheel for the diff started off as a steel disc
cut off from a round billet. This was placed on a mould at the end of
a hydraulic ram, and the other half of the mould was on another
hydraulic ram. To form the crown wheel they were slammed together
under huge pressure - it made a very nice crown wheel - and fast!

You are confusing forging with welding.

Actually I referred to neither. I referred to the use of pressure only
as "merely by pressure" was your point.

But I was discussing welding. You seem to be confusing cold forging
with welding.

No, it appears that there is an issue of splitting hairs into quarters
again. At what point is something "melted"? It appears that it has to
also need the "melted" + "a length of time" to qualify as such.

So if you want to go pick up one of those crown wheels, with your bare
hands immediately AFTER it is made - the same piece of metal you put
into the die BEFORE the event with your bare hand - well go for it,
you say it is "cold" after all!

As in so many other areas, your knowledge of metallurgy appears to be
unique.

Eric Stevens