Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve R.[_3_] Steve R.[_3_] is offline

Default Blowtorch

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
.. .
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Again our news media (AP story) mentions that the Palestinians broke down
the barrier(s) to Egypt using a blowtorch (on the metal fences). Do they
really mean an oxy/acetylene cutting torch? Did the phrase blow torch
ever mean anything other than the little hand held jobbies that holds
what we used to call "white gas" and was used for heating metal objects?

Ivan Vegvary

Yes and yes. The Hamas guys used cutting torches, and jewelers in the
Middle
Ages used a torch with a tube into which the jeweler actually blew air, to
melt gold.

GWE

The term is Blow Pipe. They are still available from jewellers supply firms.
I have one that dates to 1895, and have used it!

Steve R.

--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers