Posted to alt.home.repair
caschang caschang is offline

Default Kitchen Cabinets - Thermofoil?

caschang had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...foil-1979-.htm
:

I have white thermafoil cabinet. I melted them by using a toaster
(sitting in a normal place on the counter) when the heat from the toaster
hit the cabinets. I am told that it is not possible to re-thermafoil
them, so I have to buy new doors. I would never have them again. I just
read an article by a woman who said the doors on her thermafoil drawers
melted when she cleaned her oven and the heat of the oven melted affect
those doors close to the oven. She found out too late that you are
supposed to remove the doors next to the oven when using such high heat.

-------------------------------------
Bruce wrote:

We're selecting cabinets for a kitchen remodel. My wife likes white,
but
the only way we can get white is either order maple boxes painted
white, or
a white thermofoil or laminate box. We've looked at all the woods, but
we
just keep coming back to white.

My concerns with thermofoil or laminate are the weight, and the
inability
to repair dents or scratches.

If anyone has had either of these type of cabinets installed for a
while,
can you tell me about their durability, reapairability, and
installation
considerations?

Thanks,
Bruce