Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Stealing satellite

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:32:46 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

SteveB wrote:

I DO have a problem, though, when I buy software, have multiple
computers, and want to put it on all of them. FOR PRIVATE USE. How
many people have more than one computer? Lots. Or one of them dies
or I get rid of it, and want to use that program again. I'm not
talking about big programs, but the little stuff. Especially when
it's a ****5 program, and they're now up to ****11 version. Sounds
like a can opener you buy, and you have to pay every time you want to
use it after the first time. Or, whoops, you take it camping. Gotta
pay to use it in a new location.

Different situation: You didn't BUY the software. You paid for the right to
use the software under the conditions specified in the contract and
sometimes those conditions specify you can't use the software on more than
one computer.

1. "buy" the software
2. Use it on ONE computer
3. that computer dies (or you just need to reinstall)
4. now you get to use it on NO computers, and are a victim of
"protection"

If you want to use the software under different terms, the
company will probably be glad to accomodate you.

For example, enterprise editions of XP start at about $5,000.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"All your western theologies, the whole mythology of them,
are based on the concept of God as a senile delinquent."
-- Tennessee Williams