Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default New Cable Drop from Cable Company

In article
,
wrote:

Had to call the cable company to install a new service drop to our
house after a major remodeling took the old one out. I asked them
just to do the outside wiring because I can do the inside no problem.
They left the end of the wire coiled up and unterminated, but now
alongside the RG6 the company also ran a much thinner wire, looks to
be stranded aluminum inside a black jacket. Now what would that wire
be for? I know how to terminate the RG6 but not the smaller one
because I don't know what it does, would it be for a ground? First
time seeing it like this. Called the cable company, no help there,
they'd only send a tech out and I won't be there.

Thanks!

Maybe wire rope, designed to add mechanical strength. Fasten it to a
bolt eye in a rafter.