Posted to alt.energy.homepower,misc.rural,alt.home.repair
Floyd L. Davidson Floyd L. Davidson is offline

Default What REC said: was "lost electricity"

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Thank you for a (second) real life proof.

So where is the connection that got hot in his example????

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Neon John" wrote in message
news
Really? Then according to your expert theory, my restaurant ought to have
burned
down long ago.

http://www.neon-john.com/images/Wiring_overload.jpg

That photo is of what is left of the original 40s vintage 3 phase indoor
meter box.
Long since bypassed as a meter base, it still passed up to 300 amps at
times. That's
either #4 or #2 cloth covered, rubber insulated wire in the service
entrance. #4, I
think. It's obviously been hot enough to slag the rubber insulation but
somehow it
just keeps on truckin'. Of course, the wire is in rigid conduit and despite
your
declaration to the contrary, steel still doesn't burn very well.

That conduit has been too hot to touch on occasion. I monitored it closely
in the
summer time. I'd have loved to have replaced it but the city says that I
can't do my
own electrical work and I'm not about to pay someone else to do it so...
It's been
there since the 40s and it'll probably be there until the building is torn
down.

Perhaps you ought to look at the other post I made in this thread about how
compute irradiative losses from a hot object. The concept is simple enough
for
someone even of your caliber to understand.

Maybe you ought to get your code book out too. At various places it
discusses the
losses involved in various wire and cable temperature rises.

John

--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.comhttp://www.johndearmond.com -- best little blog on the net!