Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Victory Victory is offline

Default is there a way to increase the light of an LED with a dial?

Ok, I tried something with a 10K variable resistor today at a school
today (they were kind to indulge me).
When I hooked up the 2 3V batteries in series to the resistor, it
dimmed immediately when I turned it only slightly. The falloff of
power to the LED went to the dimmest setting right away. On a whim,
we hooked it up to 12V and the dimmer worked all the way through the
entire turn. It was great. I am a little confused why this
happened? The LED comes with 2 3V batteries in series from the $
store and is quite bright. When hooked up to the 10K resistor, it
isn't as bright. So, the next basic question is - what happened?
Should i get a resistor that is less than 10K?

Thanks

On Jan 25, 4:45 am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Victory" wrote in message

Darn, I just threw away a stereo a month or so ago. I will have to go
to Value Village or goodwill and see what they have. Will any stereo
volume tuner do for a variable resistor?

Probably not the actual volume control, as this will have a log taper, which
will bunch the control operation up one end, in this application. Tone
controls should be fine.

Arfa