Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Cleaning bandsaw blades & rubber tires

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 20:23:09 -0800, "Comcast Newsgroups"
wrote:

I use a 3/4" bandsaw blade on my 20" bandsaw and when cutting wet wood the
blade gets wet a wood/sap builds up on the blade and causes the blade the
thump as it is pulled through the guides. I stop the saw and clean off the
gunk then I'm good for awhile. Is there anything that I can clean the
blades with or spray onto the blade to clean or reduce this buildup? I
notice that it is also on the rubber tire so I am guessing that it is
probably building up on the rubber wheel then heating up and melting/pressed
onto the blade.

I would also like to know what is the best method for cleaning the rubber
tires without damaging them. I was thinking of using paint thinner but not
sure if that would cause damage to the rubber.

Hope you can help. As you can tell I am not well versed on bandsaws. Any
suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

As far as the blade goes, I use oven cleaner on my table saw blades,
and it works great. Don't know about the tires as much, but I know
you can buy replacements pretty easily if it turns out that whatever
you try causes problems. At a glance, I think I'd avoid most
solvents, out of fear that they would dry out the rubber and cause
cracks, but that's just a guess. Maybe try a little 3-in-1 oil and a
soft brass brush before jumping right to the thinner- it may or may
not work, but I don't think it could hurt anything.