Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser Lobby Dosser is offline

Default Workbench Lumber

Josh wrote:

I am a major newbie to woodworking and I don't see why building this
bench and later graduating to a better one isn't a reasonable plan.
It seems much better than working on a sears handyman style bench, or
a workmate.

Don't knock the workmate, you can do a whole lot with them. Including
build a workbench.

Why attempt to build a bench out of Scott Landis' book
with absolutely no experience and using expensive wood?

Why, indeed? Build what you are capable of building Now with the least
expensive materials that will do the job and *not frustrate you* by being
difficult to to work or warping within weeks. When you know you want to
continue woodworking and know the type of woodworking you like doing,
Then build your ultimate bench. You may even find you have already built
it.

The suggested books are still worth reading Now, as they do have tips on
Simple work benches. The Landis book, IIRC, even has a chapter devoted to
the workmate.

LD