Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Workbench Lumber

Chris Friesen wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
Josh wrote:
Why attempt to build a bench out of Scott Landis' book
with absolutely no experience and using expensive wood?

Because when you're done with it you'll have something that's going to
last. I think you'll also be surprised at how much easier it is to
work with cabinet-grade maple than with construction-grade fir.

There's also a school of thought that says make a cheap first bench and
learn as you go, use it for a few years and change it around to see what
you like, then make a better one once you know your preferences.

A softer top does have the advantage that if you accidently drop a
workpiece on the edge of the top it's less likely to damage the workpiece.

I tend to concur w/ the latter view -- one thing that is pretty
effective and inexpensive for a first bench is to use the construction
lumber then lay a piece of masonite or similar hardboard on top--a
couple small brads countersunk can hold it down but not be a problem w/
edges and if it gets destroyed it's easy/cheap to replace. It's
surprisingly durable as well as smooth...