Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Indexable lathe tools

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 01:56:07 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

ds.net...

Yes it would. C2 is the recommended grade for stainless.

Harold

If you have an older lathe with marginal rigidity and you still want to
use
carbide to turn steel, the newer micrograin carbides are more likely to
stand up than any of the traditional grades, including C2. Micrograin
carbides are tougher but they're not quite as wear resistant. On an old
lathe that should make little difference.

Can you recommend any sites or articles for learning more about the
micrograin carbides, Ed? What are the different types used for? I
see C2, C3, and C4 used on saw blades but don't know the differences.

Here are some *old* white papers from SME on micrograin carbides. Keep in
mind that a vast amount of progress has been made since 1971 and the real
commercial stuff really swept in only in the mid-'90s. But these explain the
principles:

http://www.sme.org/search/jsp/Catego...at=TEC&resort=

I wrote several articles on the subject during the late '90s but my archives
are not with me. They related to moldmaking, anyway, so you'll probably do
better just to search the Web.

The ideal would be a submicrograin carbide with 10% or more cobalt, either
as inserts or as tips for brazing. They're available, but I don't know from
whom. It would be worthwhile to gather some info if anyone finds a source
and post it to the dropbox. This is really the way to go when you need to
use carbide in an old lathe, particularly when you're cutting steel.

Let me know if you don't find what you're looking for. I'll do some further
checking.

I haven't used them enough to give a real thorough evaluation, but the
positive rake inserts I got from Rouse Arno seem to work very nicely. The
inserts I have are razor sharp.

http://www.rouse-arno.com/products/prod_index.htm

I got a set of inserts & holders on sale at the Eastec machine tool show
2 years ago. I got a set with 3/8" square shanks, and liked them so much
I ordered the 1/2" square set before the show discount expired.

Doug White