Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Induction motor inrush current

Chip wrote:

Hi John, not sure how accurately you're wanting to assess it here, but
I was always told when training as an electrician, to assume 3x the
maximum run current as the inrush with induction motors, and
approximately 2x with universal motors. That was for BS88 (or BS1363
for smaller 1ph loads) fuselinks, which approximate (IIRC) a C-Curve
MCB.

Yup, that was the sort of assessment I was after...

The plate on the motor listed Imax as 17A so that would give 51A,
although if fig 3.4 of BS7671 is to be believed the instantaneous trip
region for a 16A type B ought to be 80A or more.

The 13A plug fuse also had no difficulty with repeated starts, so I
guess that would set an upper limit round about 90 - 100A

In these H&S rich days I suspect that 'training as electrician' and
'assume' would be a bad mixture for the college/workplace, although
the late 80s/early 90s wasn't THAT long ago, it seems like it now.

Plenty good enough for this application! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.