Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default boiler flue dilemma

Hello,

Our oil fired boiler is normally hidden in a cupboard. I've removed
the cupboard to do some decorating and it's the first time I've seen
the boiler close-up.

Out of the top of the boiler comes the flue and at the join with the
boiler there seems to be a circle of dust. I think this might be
concrete that has crumbled.

Further up there is a take the flue through the wall and this is
totally loose. There are signs of an odd flake of concrete but it
looks as though the majority has long gone.

I'm thinking of calling someone out to take a look at it. I suppose if
it were leaking we would have been poisoned by now and I have placed a
CO meter in the kitchen and it's showing a green light,s o hopefully I
am being paranoid; but better safe than sorry and all that.

Is there a flue within the flue? Could it be the internal one is ok?

There's also a removable (if you unscrew it) plate. I've left it
alone. What's that for and what's behind it?

Thanks in advance.