Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Cleaning bandsaw blades & rubber tires

Prevention is usually the best cure. I have a small brush in the dripping
tray from using a 50/50 mix of vegetable and mineral oil on some pieces. A
quick touch of the brush on either side of the blade before and occasionally
during the cutting of wet wood does wonders at keeping the blade and wheels
clean. If there is buildup on the wheels (seldom) I put a bit of 100 grit
paper on a stick to keep my fingers clear and touch it to the wheels as they
turn.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"Comcast Newsgroups" wrote in message
I use a 3/4" bandsaw blade on my 20" bandsaw and when cutting wet wood the
blade gets wet a wood/sap builds up on the blade and causes the blade the
thump as it is pulled through the guides. I stop the saw and clean off the
gunk then I'm good for awhile. Is there anything that I can clean the
blades with or spray onto the blade to clean or reduce this buildup? I
notice that it is also on the rubber tire so I am guessing that it is
probably building up on the rubber wheel then heating up and
melting/pressed onto the blade.

I would also like to know what is the best method for cleaning the rubber
tires without damaging them. I was thinking of using paint thinner but
not sure if that would cause damage to the rubber.

Hope you can help. As you can tell I am not well versed on bandsaws. Any
suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.......Ralph