Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default Trouble finding a warranty for my selfbuild extension!

On 25 Jan, 09:14, Mogga wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:00:14 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

The only documents that you will have to supply on any sale is a copy
of the planning permission and a building regulation completion
certificate. It is not a legal requirement to have any structural
warranty for an extension.

Cheers, Geoff

Thanks Geoff. That seems to tally with replies I'm getting on other
forums. I do wonder though if the buyers will have any difficulty in
getting buildings insurance, and hence pull out of the sale, if I
don't have some sort of building warranty.

You'd perhaps be best investigating some sort of indemnity insurance?
But unless you're selling the house now why worry?

We had an extension done and just after we started I wondered if the
buildis insuirance needed to know. They didn't really care as long as
our builder had insurance so if he knocked the house down whilst
working on it it was his problem.
When we had our completion certificate I rang them up expecting to
have to fax them through the certificate. It turned out they didn't
care and were happy to quote us the same price for building and
contents (More than has a generous limit on rebuilding costs etc)

I have 1 years self-build insurance on my extension project. That
covers me accidentally knocking down my house and the neighbour's
house. As far as the building insurance goes, I phoned them up and
they just pointed out some waivers. These were made up for by the self-
build insurance so everything is tied up nicely.
Simon.