Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Bennett Price[_2_] Bennett Price[_2_] is offline

Default Locating Wires in Walls ?

Even more than just an AM radio and 60 cycle hum, plug a vacuum cleaner
into a receptacle that you suspect might be powered by the wire you're
trying to avoid. The AM radio will pick up lots of static when you're
near the wire.

G. Morgan wrote:
James wrote:

I have to drill a 2 1/2 inch hole through an exterior wall, and I know that
it is possible that I could run into wiring. While I know that I could
turn this circuit off and drill away, I can envision that it would be hard
to access both ends of the 120 volt wiring if my drill should cut a wire.
(repairing would normally be easy, but I don't know if I would have
appropriate "slack" and/or if I could get to both ends to do the repair. )

Isn't there a gadget to allow one to locate the exact wiring location in a
wall ?

Thanks for any tips !!

Use an inductive probe (part of a tone-generator kit)...

or --

Use a portable AM radio

tune it to a freq. with no station and run it across the wall
(practice on an area above a lightswitch where you know there are HOT
wires) you'll be able to hear the humming of the RFI.