Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] do_see@do.com is offline

Default I had my furnace repaired & they charged me over $700--and theguy was only there a total of 40 minutes.

PaPaPeng wrote:

As for the newer high efficiency furnaces the expensive part is the
electronics board. The most a service guy can do is to replace a
blown fuse. The board itself can't be repaired on site. Hard to
troubleshoot, won't have the right component part to replace,
unreliable desolder-resoldering, etc. Butcher the board and the
supplier won't accept it for a trade-in exchange. So all our Bubba
can do is a board swap and charge you an arm and a leg. If the board
is indeed the problem you can do a board swap yourself just as you
would your PC.

For everything else this is where that visit to the supplier to take a
good look at the insides of the furnace is a wonderful learning
experience and money saver. You get to know how to open up the panels
for access and where every inside is located and interconnected. Its
easy to think through the likely source of the problem. Read the
owner's manual. All components are designed to operate safely for
years in a hot environment. They are therefore made simple and tough.
Its a piece of cake to locate and fix anything once you know what's
inside..

Yeah bubba go rip off old ladies and pensioners..

I'd say you are a blithering idiot. When your house blows up I hope
there aren't any innocent children in there.