Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Storey Tom Storey is offline

Default Cleaning bandsaw blades & rubber tires

If the blade is badly fouled I take it off and use turps. 100 grit or finer
seems to work on the wheel as it turns to remove sap etc. Watch your
fingers! Tom

"Comcast Newsgroups" wrote in message
I use a 3/4" bandsaw blade on my 20" bandsaw and when cutting wet wood the
blade gets wet a wood/sap builds up on the blade and causes the blade the
thump as it is pulled through the guides. I stop the saw and clean off the
gunk then I'm good for awhile. Is there anything that I can clean the
blades with or spray onto the blade to clean or reduce this buildup? I
notice that it is also on the rubber tire so I am guessing that it is
probably building up on the rubber wheel then heating up and
melting/pressed onto the blade.

I would also like to know what is the best method for cleaning the rubber
tires without damaging them. I was thinking of using paint thinner but
not sure if that would cause damage to the rubber.

Hope you can help. As you can tell I am not well versed on bandsaws. Any
suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.......Ralph