Clark Magnuson

Default New Chinese mill vs old high quality mill

Wayne wrote:

Now I do think there is a difference in Taiwanese tools and tools made in
China. I am FAR from an expert but I have seen some real CRAP from the China
makers, and very little good stuff.

I agree, there are many nuances.
The idea of "high tech" is really "new tech".
The long established industries moved from England to the US for cheaper
labor 200 years ago.
Now industries that anyone can do move from the US to Japan, from Japan
to Taiwan, and from Taiwan to China.
Higher up the chain gets higher quality, but higher prices.
25 years ago, I would have said, buy Bridgeport, but keep an eye on Jet
of Japan.
Right now I think Taiwan made cast iron machinery through Enco is the
best trade off between cost and quality for individual hobbyist.
Sometime in the future, China made will become the best quality per cost
deal.

--
A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.