Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Blow in wall insulation

wrote in message

I had one wall to insulate and couldn't see
renting the machine, so.....we used an electric
leaf blower!! Yes!

Ran the blower outside the house with a hose into
the room. Fed the material right into the blower
intake by hand. Worked like a treat!

YMMV

Humm, interesting. Now I have to ask, how did you attach the hose to
the leaf blower? Also when I blew insulation in my attic a few years
ago, we fed the insulation into the machine, which had a hopper. Then
it was "torn up" and then forced into the hose and viloa.

Also, if I remember correctly, the hose diameter on the machine I
rented was a few inches, I hope I can use a much smaller diamter hose.
I don't want to make large holes in the walls.

So I have to go from the bottom and top of the wall?

Watching my neighbor's house being insulated recently, they drilled holes 1/2
way up and near the top of each stud space. They blew it in the lower hole, then
the upper.

When mine was done years ago, they just blew it in from the top.

In each case, they had a tapered nozzle at the end of the hose to match the hole
size (1" on mine, 1 1/4" on the neighbor's).

Bob F