Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default Blow in wall insulation

HeyBub wrote:

wrote:

What is the process to insulate a interior wall with blow in
cellulose? I'd like to insulate an interior wall to deaden the noise
coming through it. I'm not sure if it's worth renting a machine just
to do a wall. Is there another way?

Don't think that will do much good.

The sound vibrates the outside wall. The outside wall vibrates the studs.
The studs vibrate the inside wall.

If you had an outside wall, no studs, and an inside wall, there wouldn't be
much sound trasmission at all.

Which brings to mind the fix: A free-standing additional wall, not connected
to the existing one.

Actually, cellulose is the best sound deadener and sound insulation for
wall cavities. It's mass and weight are the reasons, but it does work
to reduce sound transmission through the wall. True sound elimination
would require further steps, but to reduce it, cellulose is the way to go.

We use it in bathroom and utility room walls to help reduce sound
transmission and it works quite well. If you hear it with and without,
you will become a believer.

http://www.houleinsulation.com/sound.html

--
Robert Allison