Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default How much does a chimney weigh?

On Jan 24, 10:42*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
20x20 inches, 25 feet tall. *
Originally 8" liner with red brick.
Lined with 6" stainless set in place with a mortar of vermiculite.

And then- once I know how much it weighs- if I was to brace it with a
support set at a 25degree angle, how strong a support do I need? Steel
or wood?

Really long story- shortened; * It has sat on a 8 foot high pillar of
clay about 3x3 in my basement for 20 years. * * I want to remove the
clay one side at a time and pour a 4x4 footing and a 2foot column. The
'temporary' bracing that was put in when the job was done will have to
be removed to dig the footing. *

To dig the first 1/2 I won't need to disturb 2 sides of the base- and
I know it is tied to a slab that will be undisturbed. * *The support
will be an extra safety- hopefully not needed.

thanks-
Jim

Pretty scary IMO. We had that situation in our palace and since the
chimney was nothing sacred, it was simply removed brick by brick from
the top and replaced by a nice tidy Metalbestos assembly. Part of the
chimney,in addition, was a house support, so that was left intact
under the first floor.and in the basement. Eventually it was also
removed, a big footing and lally column installed. Holding up the
house for the final removal was no big, deal, just a couple of post
jacks, 6 x 6 shoring, some steel plates from the scrap yard and a 20
ton el cheapo hydraulic jack did the job. Using a level on the floor
joists was a fringe benefit as some of the upstairs doors then decided
to fit properly. Old houses are such fun.

Joe