Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Blow in wall insulation

On Jan 24, 2:10*pm, wrote:
On Jan 24, 12:00*pm, Speedy Jim wrote:

wrote:
What is the process to insulate a interior wall with blow in
cellulose? I'd like to insulate an interior wall to deaden the noise
coming through it. I'm not sure if it's worth renting a machine just
to do a wall. Is there another way?

Thanks.

If you will be doing it from the inside,
drill a hole top and bottom of each stud space.
You might get away with only 1 hole for each...

Now, promise you won't laugh...

I had one wall to insulate and couldn't see
renting the machine, so.....we used an electric
leaf blower!! *Yes!

Ran the blower outside the house with a hose into
the room. *Fed the material right into the blower
intake by hand. *Worked like a treat!

YMMV

Humm, interesting. Now I have to ask, how did you attach the hose to
the leaf blower? Also when I blew insulation in my attic a few years
ago, we fed the insulation into the machine, which had a hopper. Then
it was "torn up" and then forced into the hose and viloa.

Also, if I remember correctly, the hose diameter on the machine I
rented was a few inches, I hope I can use a much smaller diamter hose.
I don't want to make large holes in the walls.

So I have to go from the bottom and top of the wall?- Hide quoted text -

Cellulose in walls may settle 15-20%, there is a Wet process where
Glue is added so it does not settle,