Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default washing machine leaking when filling

wrote in message
Hi - I have a Hotpoint WMA52 and it's just flooded the cellar. The
water it's filling with is backing up into the soap drawer and
spilling out. I had the top off and squeezed the hose between the
soap drawer and the drum, this seems to have made some difference but
when I turn the pressure up it still overflows.

If the drawer to drum pipe is definately clear, then the flow into the
machine may be to great.

Try running some hot water into the soap drawer to disolve and flush any
congealed soap. If the flow is too great, you can get restrictor washers to
fit on the CW feed pipe.

Should there be a float switch and is that knackered?

No!

It turns the water on until it senses the correct level in the drum, then
turns it off. The over flowing is a separate matter entirely - either not
draing to the drum fast enough, or water going in too fast.

Should I be able to see water in the drum to a depth of up to the door
bottom when it's filled - cos I can.

If you want to wash things, it needs to fill with water to a level. The
correct level is usually around the bottom of the window.