Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Need a cover for high shelves

According to jtpr :
We have a utility/laundry/storage room in our new house. I built
shelves along one wall that are about 10' hight by 10' long and 16"
deep. My wife doesn't like to look at all the boxes and such and
wants to cover them up. I don't really want to build a lot of doors
on them because of the general layout of the room and accessibility to
the shelf space. So, I'm looking for suggestions on what would be a
good solution. She has suggested a series of curtains, but finding
10' high curtains without being custom made is tough.

Simple and inexpensive solution, vastly better looking than using a
plastic tarp, a lot less expensive than custom "drapes".

Buy canvas painter's drop sheets. They come in a variety of sizes,
they're very cheap and very rugged. Paint stores have them
as do some DIY box stores. Check that the ones you get don't
have objectionable seams. 4x12s shouldn't have any seams.

Dye (in the clothes washer) if desired, but we prefer the look
of undyed canvas (usually a nice cream color) when we've done this.

The simplest way to hang them:

- to cut to length - it doesn't need to be hemmed. Stitching canvas
is hard on a consumer-grade sewing machine.

- Buy a "large grommet kit" (grommets plus tools) from a fabric store
(or whatever) to place grommets along the top edge.

- Hang from plasticized (wire-core) clothes-line cable eyebolted
into the walls.

If you really want to put them on tracks, it probably wouldn't
cost too much to get a commercial canvas fabricator (makes
custom tarps for trailers, tents, awnings etc) to make them
more like real drapes.

[If you want it dyed, it may be cost effective to get a canvas
fabricator to do the cutting, hemming, dye and grommet approach.]

It won't slide that well on cable, so if that's going to be a
nuisance, you could do the canvas in 3' or 4' wide sections - you
just hold it out of the way when you need access to a box.

Since one common size for drop clothes is 4'x12', that makes
things very convenient: Lop 2' plus a bit off the end,
install grommets, install eyebolts, string grommets on cable
and attach to eyebolts. Done.
--
Chris Lewis,