Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Tub Taps

According to Robert Allison :
jim wrote:

On Jan 23, 11:27 am, Robert Allison wrote:

jim wrote:

Have to remove them. They are worn beyond repair. There is no access
behind the taps. I have to remove 9 tiles to get at them. I have
exactly 9 spare tiles and there is nowhere to match them up. I was
going to use a utility knife (many blades) to cut out the grout and
remove the required tiles - what are my chances of pulling this off?
Any tips to protect the tiles I need to leave from cracking when I
remove the others?

A dremel would work better than a utility knife. Better yet, go and get
a grout saw. They even have these at the borgs. Put some masking tape
on the surrounding tiles (I wouldn't, but if it helps your confidence
level). If you're doing a 3 x 3 square, start with the middle tile and
work your way out. No need to remove any grout except that which is up
against a tile that you DO NOT want to remove.

Now, cut out the backing material leaving an inch or so on each edge
exposed. When you replace the backing material, you can screw through
this edge to attach nailer strips, making installation much easier.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Thanks for the tips Robert. I did as you said. Dusty but did the
trick. Taps are in as are the tiles. Grout tomorrow.

Good lord! You mean that worked? I was just guessing! :-)

Heh,

I _suspect_ that the bonding of the tiles to the backing
wasn't that good, or, the top layer (eg: paper face on drywall)
came off.

With a good solid bond to, say, concrete board, I find it hard to
imagine being able to get a tile off without breaking it. Often
even with drywall with a less than very sturdy tile.

In situations like that, it may be best to cut straight thru
the backing, and take out and reinstall the section of tile as
one piece.

Fortunately, all shower/tub controls I have had to deal with
had interior drywall directly behind them, which can be cut open
to get access without destroying the surround - which isn't
possible with a fiberglass insert. Putting an access hatch
would be even more convenient, but esthetically, the SO
wouldn't let me :-(

Tho, if I have to do the new shower's controls that back onto
the fridge, there shouldn't be a problem with a hatch.
--
Chris Lewis,